Melbourne Angels Masterclass #3 – Investment Terms – Process & Documentation
May 30 @ 09:30 - 16:30
You’re invited to the next in our long-running series of Masterclasses on all aspects of Angel investing.
This workshop is designed to demystify terminology, to facilitate in-depth discussions of the terms and conditions commonly used by Angel investors in funding early stage entrepreneurs.
We will introduce many of the terms available for use in Angel deals and provide an opportunity to discuss each.
Categorisation of the terms and conditions for Angel deals is not standardised. We have chosen to organise the workshop as follows:
- Purpose: Why do we and should we care about investment terms?
- Context: Which factors influence our choice of terms?
- Terminology: What are the most common terms and what do they mean?
- Strategy & Process: What are we trying to achieve with terms and how do we conduct the negotiation?
- Terms – Structuring the deal: How the investment will happen. What is a Terms Sheet? What type of security? What kind of corporate entity?
- Rights: How the investors and founders will operate once the investment is complete. What rights are reserved for us as investors?
- Exits and liquidations: Terms governing ownership change over time.
A comprehensive workbook is supplied to all attendees. Included with the workbook are sample documents developed by Melbourne Angels, including a terms sheet, shareholders’ agreement, lead investor assignment and a constitution for the portfolio company.
Participation in the workshop is a benefit of membership in Melbourne Angels. We extend an invitation to attend to other Angel investors, Founders (contact us for the Founder discount code), aspiring investors and anyone else with a passion to engage in the start-up ecosystem.
Just like with Due Diligence: ‘The Devil is in the Detail … ‘